Blender tutorials boosting confidence

Characters in Blender

This month I managed to complete the Absolute Beginners 3D character in Blender course by Nikolay Naydenov which I've been working on mornings, evenings and weekends. I've managed to progress through this tutorial and have already boosted my confidence with the Blender and look to utilise this knowledge in personal projects as well. 



This course took me through the stages of building a character, starting with the above step of sculpting a character and getting used to all of the tools ready for retopologising into a more manageable mesh. 


This was the progress of retopologising the head and ears over the top of the original sculpted base mesh. This was a great learning process which has given me a great headstart in my understanding of this process but I know I need to study up for subsequent projects to gain a better understanding of how to optimise the flow of my topology 


This was the stage of adding a basic texture adding materials like metal and adding details to the eyes, face and ears through painting in Blender. A little reintroduction to uv mapping characters for this stage was welcome!


The final turnaround where I'd finished posing the mouse and added some extra details such as the cup from the original concept. Great to see the final outcome of this tutorial and feeling a great sense of progression which I'm already adapting in to my own work. It's been a brilliant refresher to my knowledge and I have already lined up a few more tutorials specifying in game art which I will visiting over the coming months as well!

The Last of Us Display

Last weekend saw the final episode of The Last of Us air. A great retelling of one of my most treasured gaming experiences! In celebration and to pay homage to it I designed a concept for a display to showcase the first and second game with the blu ray of the series for fans to experience the whole story so far on different platforms.


This concept would feature a stop sign with the firefly logo and a grotty tile texture background with growing fungal elements to the cardboard display! 

I look forward to sharing progress of my personal project and further tutorial studies next month. Thank you for reading!

Comments

Popular Posts