Blender and Substance study throughout June

It's been a couple of months since I posted last and the past few weeks I've been busy working on Blender, back to some figure drawing sketches, anatomy study and adding substance painter to my creative cloud to begin learning.

Blender progress -

Firstly on to some progress in Blender. After finishing the mouse tutorial purchased on Artstation I took what I had learnt and began to transfer some of this over to a personal project. I'd drawn an Avatar that I'd used for socials and wanted to start bringing this to life in 3D. 

3D model so far

Original drawing

For a first attempt I'm pleased but I think I may start from scratch and draw out some better orthographics to work from. I definitely think it requires another couple of attempts to perfect this before moving on to texturing and posing this. I'll be looking to implement substance painter into the workflow of this piece to strengthen my learning of the softwares working in tandem.

I have purchased another of couple of tutorials from Artstation and have begun working on the Armoured Female Assassin one first! This is currently showcasing my weakness in anatomy but I'm enjoying learning from this process and will work to strengthen this through continuous exercises. So far I have finished a basic blockout of the body of the character and will look to next week by beginning to refine this base before working on the armour pieces.

Head sculpt

Body Sculpt before refining

Substance Painter - 

Today I added Substance Painter to my Adobe Creative Cloud subscription to begin learning the software so that I can implement it into my workflow and improve my models. The YouTube page for Substance Painter has some amazing resources and it's where I've started. Looking at the rollerskate tutorial I've worked out how to make my way around the software and I'll look to next weekend to continue my learning with the Spiderbot tutorial! It was great to see how powerful the tools are to add the materials and the additional elements like stitching, dirt and the detail patch on the rollerskate model provided!




Figure Drawing 

I've been utilising my morning breakfast time to sketch out a couple of figures before I leave for work which has been fun. It's not necessarily the burst of sketches I was working through before but it's a nice addition to my daily study and a bit of a meditative process to relax before the workday.







Over the next month I will continue with the Blender tutorial which I'm hoping to push through ready to redo the 3D Avatar again with a better version. Hopefully by that time I would have begun to get a grasp on Substance Painter ready to texture and add it to the workflow! 

Thanks for reading! And I look forward to sharing my journey through next months progress

Comments

Popular Posts