Character Design Challenge - Animal Hybrids - September 2022


I decided to jump back in to the character design challenge this month after a bit of a hiatus. These have been a great way to create some original content previously and I look forward to continue to develop with the monthly prompts! 

This month was based around animal hybrids to which I used an animal generator to pick to splice 2 animals together. I had a couple of options that I looked at initially with a few rough sketches which were orangutan/impala and a wolf/elk. I decided to try out a full sketch idea of an Orangutan/Elk hybrid and explored a few face options for the orangutan before fleshing out the final idea.

Initial Sketches

To create the final piece I used my program of choice Clip Studio Paint which I tend to use over photoshop a lot of the time because I've gotten more comfortable with the brushes and effects. (I tend to favour using the dust of light effect a lot in my paintings because I love the whimsical feel it gives to the finished product) I'm pleased with the final piece and look forward to accepting the next challenge in October! 

Here are some examples of my previous efforts of the Challenge - 


Looking forward to making this challenge a part of my monthly routine. I need to focus on utilising the challenge as a full brief and try to be more intentional around the ideas I'm creating. This will include fleshing out the characters purposefully and create an intentional design throughout the month to create even more interesting final designs! 

As time goes on and I begin to feel more comfortable in Blender I will look to begin looking to partake in 3D options of challenges such as ArtStation challenges to continue to flesh out my design capabilities!

Comments

Popular Posts