Saturday, 23 March 2013

Initial thoughts into branding

I've started looking into the branding leading to the graphic design of the art of book that I will be creating for the project. I looked into the designs of video game logos to inspire my ideas 

Looking at the Sly Cooper logo I thought around the shape of the Amarok's and Atka's hood and collar. Creating a basic shape for the text to overlay which is recognisable and distinguishable as being similar to the character. The type of font that I wanted to get would be cute looking to fit in with the design of the concepts and character designs. I looked into using a font called Snow Fox created by Skyhaven Fonts.

As beginnings I don't think these were very successful but lead me on to create this which is a bit more in the right direction. 

I think it would become stronger if the style of the wolf outline was a little more illustrative like the Ni No Kuni logo and maybe more flowing around the text as well much like Ni No Kuni's. I will continue to press on with this to create a good design to present my work in the art of book I am going to create. And through the work into the logo and by grabbing design elements from my concepts and character design I can make the book and work fit together well.

Friday, 22 March 2013

Texture tests

Testing out the look of Amarok's clothes using the alpha channel.

I think I need to go even further with this and add extra planes of geometry to fill this out so I will chat to Alan about whether this is the way to pursue and if geometry restrictions of games will allow.

Wednesday, 20 March 2013

Updates to Amarok's face

After Alex pointed out that Amarok had lost some of his cuteness I went in to the geometry in order to try and solve this. I spent a few hours moving geometry in order to get a better result but all he needed was his face to be scaled down in its width as I had gone far out of the orthographic. I have sorted that out now and he has gained his cuteness back I think :)

Thankyou Alex :)

Tuesday, 19 March 2013

Update on modelling

Amarok is pretty much there the only thing I need to discover is whether the furry type parts of his clothing will be modelled in the geometry or similar to the way I did the hair for my previous characters. This way I would model planes and then using the alpha channel I would draw out the effect desired. I will test this out over the next day and decide which works better for the character then get on to texturing him.

At the moment with Atka I have started to block out the model. I'm looking forward to him coming to life like Amarok so onwards it is!

Votes on which environment I should create for my project?

I designed 4 environments and would like to ask which one you guys think I should create because I like them all.

Concept 1
Concept 2
Concept 3
Concept 4
I feel that concept 2 is the strongest but I just thought I'd ask for opinions while I'm modelling my characters.

Thankyou :D

Sunday, 17 March 2013

ACT Speed Paint Challenge 10 Final

I've enjoyed doing these, flexing a more abstract skill set in my digital painting. 

Friday, 15 March 2013

Update On Amarok modelling

Just another quick update...

Alan helped me to sort out some issues with the face today and the face is looking fuller and better now. I'll keep working on this over the weekend and work on the geometry of other places as well but I'm enjoying seeing Amarok come to life in 3D.

Thursday, 14 March 2013

ACT Speed Paint Challenge 5-9

Apologies I hadn't got round to getting these done I will add them to the dropbox tomorrow at uni to make them available.

Challenge 5
Challenge 6
Challenge 7
Challenge 8
Challenge 9

Wednesday, 13 March 2013

Update on progress

Just an update on my progress of the modelling of Amarok and despite some troubles figuring out the shapes of his head over the past couple of days I really feel I'm beginning to get somewhere with him. I need to polish up on the geometry of his hands and elsewhere and finish off his face but I feel he is getting there.

I need to catch up on the speed paints which I will be updating over the next couple of days as well

Friday, 8 March 2013

Atka Turnaround

I may have to revisit this I struggled with the proportions of the front of Atka. I may have to model from the side and rear and then in maya tweak the front to get an understanding of the front proportions and go from there

Tuesday, 5 March 2013

First concept piece from thumbnails

I'm looking forward to bringing the other thumbnails to life I think this has been rather successful so far.

ACT Speed Paint Challenge 1

I enjoyed doing this challenge and I think that it will definitely broaden my skills in digital painting. I hope to better my skills over the challenges that are set :D

Saturday, 2 March 2013

Finished Atka

Alan suggested today that the top half of the wolf needed something to bring it together and suggested the use of tinting the fur in places with the red that I used in one of the previous posts to complete him. Here is the design for Atka ready for his turnaround.

Amarok Turnaround

Turnaround for Amarok done now. Looking forward to him coming to life in 3D!!